- Boys Homeschool Basketball League-Looking for 3 Players Ages 13-14Posted 1 day ago
- Free Music Together Trial Class on 12/12-DetroitPosted 1 day ago
- American Heritage Girls are Coming to your Area-MacombPosted 1 day ago
- FlipSpot Gymnastics for Boys and Girls-Rochester HillsPosted 2 days ago
- Considering Homeschooling? Claim your Free Homeschool Welcome BasketPosted 5 days ago
- Trail Life USA Character Development for Boys- Information MeetingPosted 6 days ago
- Local Youth Author Gracie Harmon, Publishes Second BookPosted 1 week ago
- The Intrigue of RMS TitanicPosted 1 week ago
- Free Admission to Cranbrook Institute of Science 12/6-Bloomfield HillsPosted 1 week ago
- Cinderella the Musical presented by Project DayDreamPosted 2 weeks ago
Homeschool Summer Sharpener #1
Good morning fellow homeschooling families! I hope you are able to stay cool and comfortable in this extreme heat that we have been having. Hopefully we will experience some rain pretty soon. I keep thinking about all of the families in Colorado, Utah, etc., losing their homes to the fires. My thoughts and prayers go out to them at this time. My cousins family had to evacuate from their home out west and waiting to find out if their home is even still standing. So scary and so disheartening.
On a brighter note, (sigh) we started our homeschool summer sharpeners this week. Basically, we will just stick with reading, writing, and math three days a week to keep the minds sharp. I am going to try to mix it up the best I can with learning games, projects, etc. I know that these subjects have a tendency to become tedious and dry so I am on a mission to make it fun and exciting. I recently learned of a summer writing camp that I think may be beneficial and I signed the girls up for a summer reading program through Barnes and Noble. They are excited to jump on that as they will earn a free book after reading and logging 8 books.
We are also staying sharp with piano lessons and music theory. I don’t want them to lose what they have gained thus far especially since I am there music/piano teacher, haha. I have been trained in piano, flute, and music theory since a very young age so it’s a great advantage to be able to exercise those talents and skills with my own children. It’s also a bonus to save money in that department! I decided to do something different with our music education. I started a mini piano/theory summer camp to keep it fresh and fun. The girls are learning about one legendary composer a week along with theory worksheets and learning one classical song a week. So far it’s going very well. This week we learned about Johann Sebastian Bach. Sweet Pea (9) is learning classical piece level 3 Fur Elise and Cup Cake (5.5.) is learning classical piece level 1 beginner, Swan Lake. They have to perform it to me later today after a week long practice. Next week we will move into our next session.
Oh, I forgot to mention that we had a blast at the Livonia Spree and Fireworks on Sunday, June 24th. I always love seeing the girls faces after such a magnificent display. It was just georgeous as always. I hope you and your family have a wonderful and blessed July 4th celebrating the birth of our country! God bless America!
I hope you all have a blessed weekend. Stay cool!
~Happy Homeschooling and Happy Summer