- Summer Theater AuditionsPosted 2 days ago
- Home Made Hostess Cupcake ClassPosted 3 days ago
- Field Day for Homeschoolers in TaylorPosted 4 days ago
- Teen Minecraft Club in WestlandPosted 5 days ago
- E-Hub Registration now OpenPosted 7 days ago
- Happy 10th Birthday Mo Willems’ Pigeon Book GiveawayPosted 9 days ago
- 6 Stools & a Folding Chair Youth Theater Presents Bye Bye Birdie – OxfordPosted 10 days ago
- Meet the Author, Sarah Shepard – YpsilantiPosted 11 days ago
- Last Day for Early Registration at The COVE – RedfordPosted 11 days ago
- Art Journaling for EveryonePosted 12 days ago
Michigan Home Education Week
This has been a good week for homeschoolers in Michigan! A successful homeschool day at the capitol was organized by Home Education League of Michigan (HELM) with numerous representatives, senators and Lieutenant Governor Brian Calley addressing the group. Also on Tuesday, the Michigan Senate adopted Resolution 170 to recognize September 9–15, 2012 as “Home Education Week” in the state of Michigan.
The resolution was sponsored by Senator David Robertson and co-sponsors senators Darwin Booher, Jack Brandenburg, Patrick Colbeck, Goeffrey Hansen, Mark Jansen, James Marleau, Mike Nofs, Phillip Pavlov, and John Proos. You can find their contact information to thank them for their interest and support online.
The resolution recognizes “that parents and legal guardians have a natural and fundamental right to direct the care, education, and upbringing of their children,” and that “homeschooling provides young people with a strong foundation of values and academic skills needed to become responsible citizens of our state and nation.”
You can view or print the resolution on the Michigan legislature website.